RECENT / FORTHCOMING PUBLISHED WORK:
- D. Stefanou, “Music, Noise and Silence in the Cinema of Jean-Luc Godard” in M. Cooke & F. Ford (eds.), The Cambridge Companion to Film Music (Cambridge: CUP, forthcoming 2015)
- D. Stefanou, “Kounadis, Arghyris”, “Platonos, Lena”, “Samaltanos, Nikolaos”, “Semitekolo, Nelly”, “Theodorakis, Ermis”, “Visvikis, Dennis”, Grove Music Online, Oxford Music Online (New York: OUP, contracted).
- D. Stefanou, “Environmental Music / Musical Environment: From Composition to Ecology”, Proceedings of the First National Symposium of Art and Science: Ideas and Works on the Environment, University of the Aegean at Syros, September 2004 (Athens: Hellenic Association for Physics, 2005)
- D. Stefanou, “Mapping a museum without walls: John Cage and musicology” (review article), Journal of the Royal Musical Association, 128/2 (2003), pp. 319-28.
- D. Stefanou, “Understanding the Schenker Project” (review of Nicholas Cook lecture series), Society for Music Analysis Newsletter, July 2003
- D. Stefanou and J. Stefanou, (Urban Design Laboratory, NTUA) “The Aural Landscape”, Proceedings of the International Acoustics Conference , Patras, Greece, September 2002 (Patras: Univerrsity Press, 2003), pp. 465-72
- D. Stefanou, Review of David Nicholls (ed.) The Cambridge Companion to John Cage, Frankfurter Zeitschrift für Musikwissenschaft (FZMw), 6 (2003), pp.46-52. [http://www.8ung.at/fzmw/indexeng.htm]
- D. Stefanou, “The Musical Landscape: Imagination, Memory, Reality” in “Apopsi” Cultural Review 79-80 (July-August 2002), pp. 25-7.
SELECTION OF RECENT / FORTHCOMING CONFERENCE PAPERS:
- 09/12: “Informal contexts / formalizing discourses: free improvisation and the problem of self-representation” (paper) and “Something out of Nothing” (joint practical session with P. Kanellopoulos & A. Porfiriadis), Perspectives on Musical Improvisation Conference, University of Oxford, U.K.
- 12/11: “Muted processes: revisiting experimental music practices in music historiography and music education” (with P. Kanellopoulos), Radical Music History Symposium, Sibelius Academy, Helsinki, Finland
- 09/11: ““The eventfulness of unheard thoughts: Words of Nothing for piano player(s) ” (with A. Porfiriadis), Word Event: a verbal notation symposium, Bath Spa University, U.K.
- 07/11: "Towards a practical philosophy of collectively improvised space", Performance Studies Network International Conference, CMPCP, Faculty of Music, University of Cambridge, U.K.
- 07/10: «Unguarded Spaces: Collective Free Improvisation and the Locus of Innovation», at the International Conference Beyond the Centres: Musical Avant-Gardes since 1950, Thessaloniki, Greece
- 02/10: «Conversing with the animate void: John Butcher, Resonant Spaces »[GR], 2nd Conference on Acoustic Ecology, Rethymnon, Greece
- 09/09: «Frameworks for Free Improvisation: Shared Practice as Research» (panel & workshop with P. Kanellopoulos and A. Porfiriadis) 1st Biennial Euro-Mediterannean Music Conference, Cyprus Music Institute, University of Nicosia, Cyprus.
- 04/09: “Sounding Mallarmé’s invisible theatre”(with Themelis Glynatsis and Ioannis Kotsonis) at the Theatre Noise Conference, Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London, U.K.
- 03/09: “From invisible theatre to sonic mise-en-scene: Igitur (2009)” [GR] at the Conference on Contemporary Greek Music for the Theatre and Performing Arts.
- 12/08: “Landscape and de-territorialisation in Messiaen’s Music” [GR] at the Messiaen Conference, Department of Music Studies, University of Athens.
- 07/08: “Inter-structures: a performative-philosophical re-examination of continuity in postwar repertoire” at the Conference on Interdisciplinary Musicology (CIM08), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 12/07: “From soundscape to musical landscape: tracing the elements of a composite ecology”[GR] at the First Conference on Acoustic Ecology, Department of Music Studies, Ionian University, Corfu, Greece.
- 07/07: “Borders, Crossings and the Imaginary Geographies of Improvisation” at the International Conference on Music Since Nineteen Hundred, University of York, U.K.
- 06/06: “Parables and Paradigms on how Music becomes Landscape” at the RMA Annual Conference 2006, University of Nottingham, U.K.
- 11/05: “ ‘Digitizing Chopin: The Confluence of Musicology and Technology” (with Prof. John Rink and Dr. Marilyn Deegan) at the RMA Annual Conference 2005, University of Manchester, U.K.
- 08/05: “ ‘Travellers, there are no paths…’: The case for a nomadology of performance” at the International Conference on Twentieth-Century Music, University of Sussex, U.K.
- 02/05: “Accounting for Losses: Some Observations on the Elusiveness of Performativity in Analytical Discourse” at the SMA Winter Study Day – Accounting for Performance, Royal Northern College of Music, U.K.
INVITED TALKS / PRESENTATIONS:
(details of invitation in brackets after dates)
On sonic and musical landscapes, improvisation, and the historical, philosophical, ecological and anthropological dimensions of sound design:
· “Improvisation, Performance - Theory & Practice” Panel at Electric Nights: 3-Days of Electronic Arts”, Beton7, Athens, Greece November 2012 (Manolis Manoussakis)
· “Indeterminacy, Free Improvisation, and the (European) Ghost in the Machine” at Across the Great Divide: Human - Machine Improvisations, Onassis Cultural Centre, Athens, October 2012 (Manolis Manoussakis & Christos Karras)
· “Uneasy dwellings: revisiting early modernist operatic adaptations of the Bluebeard myth”, Grimm Knot festival @ KNOT Gallery Athens (Dr. Themelis Glynatsis)
· “Sounding Museums”(w/ Dafni Tragaki), Volos Archaeological Museum, March 2012 (Dr. Irene Nakou)
· “Improvising Greece”, The Alabama Greece Initiative lecture series, University of Alabama, April 2011 (Dr. Andrew Raffo Dewar)
· “The improvised history of a European experimental music“, Music and Europeaness postgraduate programme, Department of Archaeology, History and Social Anthropology, University of Thessaly, March 2011 (Dr. Dafni Tragaki)
· “Critical contexts for free improvisation“, Musical Improvisation: Intercultural Perspectives seminar series, Music Department, University of Macedonia, April 2010 (Dr. Eleni Kallimopoulou)
· “Landscape as Critical Concept and as an Aesthetic”, Sound, Soundscapes and Sonic Environments expert workshop, Open University, December 2009 (Dr. George Revill)
· Keynote Paper (“Sounds of Absence: on the elusive identity of re-imagined spaces”) in Music-Image-Identity RMA Study Day, Department of Music Studies, University of Nottingham, June 2009 (Mr. Philip Weller)
· Invited Talk (“On the documentation of imaginary landscapes”) at the “Sound top(i)ographies: artistic and theoretical tracings in the acoustic environment“ Seminar, Synch Festival 2008, Athens, Greece, June 2008 (Prof. Panayiotis Panopoulos).
· Public Lecture (“Space, Time and the Sound Object”) and Guest Seminar on “Interaction Design” module, Department of Systems and Products Design, University of the Aegean at Syros, Greece, April 2006. (Prof. Ioannis Darzentas).
· Guest Seminars on modules “Anthropological Approaches to the City” (October 2001), “Anthropology of Space in Urban Planning” (April 2003) and several Public Seminars in the interdepartmental postgraduate programme of studies (2003-present), School of Architecture, National Technical University of Athens, Greece (Prof. Joseph Stefanou / Prof. Ioannis Tsouderos).
On digital resources and the Online Chopin Variorum Edition (OCVE) and Chopin’s First Editions Online (CFEO) projects:
· “’Digital technology and the transformation of humanities
scholarship” session, AHRC Research Skills Training for Music Postgraduates 2006-7, The British Library, February 2006 (Dr. Katharine Ellis)
· “Digitale Medien und Musikedition” Colloquium, Akademie der Wissenschaften und der Literatur in Mainz, November 2006. (Dr. Gabriele Buschmeier)
· Digital Image Archive of Medieval Music workshop, Oxford University, July 2004 (Dr. Julia Craig-McFeely).